RADAR Productions and Michelle Tea have put together an amazing benefit that’s happening in NYC this Saturday, March 24th. Come see a powerhouse line-up up of writers and artists, while supporting a great project (RADAR Lab, the annual 11-day queer writers retreat). Information on the event and how to get tickets are below.
RADAR Productions’ East Coast Benefit – Saturday, March 24, 2012
RADAR Productions hosts its first East Coast fundraiser to benefit the 4th annual RADAR Lab. The fundraiser takes place from 7pm – 9:30pm at The Strand Bookstore (828 Broadway) in Greenwich Village. Light refreshments provided with a cash bar. Tickets are $30 and can be purchased in advance at https://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/225631. The event lineup features:
- Rose Troche: film and television director, television producer, and screenwriter. Her directorial debut was the groundbreaking film Go Fish (1994), a lezzie love story.
- Stephen Elliott: author of seven books including The Adderall Diaries which has been described as “genius” by both the San Francisco Chronicle and Vanity Fair; creator of The Rumpus and director of the forthcoming feature film Cherry, starring James Franco.
- Mary Gaitskill: author of the National Book Award nominee Veronica, the novel Two Girls, Fat and Thin and the story collections Bad Behavior, Because They Wanted To and Don’t Cry. Her short story, Secretary, was the inspiration for the film of the same name.
- Tao Lin: author of 6 books of fiction and poetry, including Eeeee Eee Eeee, Shoplifting from American Apparel, Richard Yates and the forthcoming Untitled Third Novel. He is the creator of the blog Thought Catalog and publisher of the press Muumuu House.
- Leopoldine Core: born and raised in Manhattan. She attended Hunter College. Her work has appeared in Open City, The Literarian and Joyland Magazine.
- Michael Cunningham: author of the novels A Home at the End of the World, Flesh and Blood, The Hours (winner of the Pen/Faulkner Award & Pulitzer Prize), and Specimen Days.
- Lorelei Lee: a student, writer, and porn performer. Her writing has appeared or is upcoming in Transfer, $pread Magazine, Animal Shelter, and Denver Quarterly.
- And a sneak preview of Sini Anderson’s documentary The Punk Singer: The Documentary about Kathleen Hanna.
RADAR Lab is an 11-day, queer-centric retreat for writers and artists. The retreat is free of charge, and is hosted by RADAR’s Artistic Director, Michelle Tea, Program Manager, Ali Liebegott, and Managing Director, Elizabeth Pickens. The Lab has been held annually for the last three summers in Akumal, Mexico. All writers and artists work independently on projects and share progress during daily communal meals and discussions. Each year, there is a featured guest writer; in 2012 the featured guest is Rhodessa Jones, Cultural Odyssey co-director and founder of Medea Project – Theater for Incarcerated Women. Writers attending the 2012 Radar LAB include Jonathan Katz, Ariel Schrag, Miguel Gutierrez, Brontez Purnell, Erin Markey and many more.
RADAR Productions is a San Francisco-based non-profit that produces literary happenings around the Bay Area and beyond. Founded in 2003 by writer Michelle Tea, RADAR conducts presenting, commissioning, professional development and touring programs that stimulate the production of queer and underground literature.